Whenever I start a new project in Meteor (feels like once a week at the moment 😉 ) I use base project that i clone out of a private Github repo, it’s served me really well until now and has given me a head start in all new Meteor developments.
With the arrival of Meteor 1.3 (I’m using 1.3-Beta.12 at the moment and its rock solid for the most part) my old base project is showing its age! it’s based on the Blaze view layout system and doesn’t make use of any es2105 features…
So I thought it was time to build a new base project and as I’m also working on delivering Meteor Casts (once a week) I though I would combine the two and make an open source “Meteor Cast – Starter Kit”
It’s a base project that you can use to start your next Meter development, it features:
- React (from NPM) Views
- React login views (no accounts-ui or accounts core) written especially (by me) for this kit
- Uses the react-komposer module and the composer pattern for all React components
- Has SSR (Server Side Rendering) on all pages by default… i.e. Googlebot can understand your pages now
- Has SEO features allowing per-page title, meta, etc… (even when server rendered, SSR)
- SASS for styling
- ES2015 imports/exports utilised
- Modern/awesome theme (built on top of bootstrap)
- Built in Marketing pages and app pages (host your www and your app from the same project)
- Has default 404 page
- and much more in the pipeline…
Not only is this project a great (IMHO) foundation for your next Meteor project it’s also a really good resource if you want to learn how to do any of the above
My plan is to open source this in the coming days and commit to stable releases which can be sourced via this blog (I will put a dedicated page up soon), I’m hoping that the community (you guys) will support me with this and contribute to the project, I’m especially interested in UX, Responsive Features, Testing and Mantra contributions at the moment.
Try it now
To wet your appetite I have uploaded the Meter Cast Starter Kit to meteor.com so you can see it in action:
The project is available on GitHub, but I Invite you to support me by contributing back any enhancements you make.